- 3 red peppers
- 2 aubergines
- 8 tbsp olive oil , plus a little for greasing
- ½ quantity tomato sauce (see below)
- 300g lasagne sheets
- ½ quantity white sauce (see below)
- 125g grated cheese.
- handful cherry tomatoes halved.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Deseed the peppers, halve, then cut into large chunks. Trim ends off aubergines, then cut into slices about ½cm thick. Lightly grease 2 large baking trays, then place peppers and aubergines on top. Toss with the olive oil, season well, then roast for 25 mins until lightly browned.
- Reduce oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lightly oil an ovenproof serving dish (30 x 20cm). Arrange a layer of the vegetables on the bottom, then pour over a third of the tomato sauce. Top with a layer of lasagne, then drizzle over a quarter of the white sauce. Repeat until you have 3 layers of pasta.
- To finish, spoon remaining white sauce over the pasta, making sure the whole surface is covered. Scatter cheese over the top with the tomatoes. Bake for 45 mins until bubbling and golden.
Melt 85g/3oz butter in a saucepan, stir in 85g/3oz plain flour, then cook for 2 mins. Slowly whisk in 750ml/1¼pt milk, then bring to the boil, stirring. Turn down heat, then cook until the sauce starts to thicken and coats the back of a wooden spoon. Sauce can now be cooled and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for 3 months.