Make this cake about two months before Christmas.
150g 5oz Butter/Margarine.
150g 50z Light Muscovado sugar.
2tsp egg mix-4tbsp water whisk together.
225g 8oz Self Raising flour, (1/2 tsp Xanthan gum with gluten free flour).
400g 14oz Mincemeat.
3oz 75g currants.
3oz 75g raisins.
3oz 75g glaze cherries.
4 tsp sherry/brandy (wine of your choice).
50g 20z chopped/ground almonds.
900g fondant icing.
3 tbsp apricot jam (jam of your choice).
Oven to 160C, 330F Gas Mark 3, lightly grease and line a deep round 20inch cake tin with baking parchment.
1. Place all ingredients into large mixing bowl and beat well for 1 minute until thoroughly mixed together and turn into greased cake tin.
2. Bake for 1 3/4 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and the cake is shrinking from the sides of the tin. Cover the cake with foil after an hour if it is starting to brown too much. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then turn onto cooling rack, carefully peel away the baking parchment and finish cooling.
4. Cover the cake with tin foil and place in a tin. Every few weeks gently stab the cake with skewer, pour 1 tbsp of the wine you used over the cake, recover the cake.
Cover the cake with marzipan about a week before icing.
1. Place the jam on the top of the cake and spread it around the top of it.
2. Roll out the marzipan to 1/2 inch thick, place over the top and cut off the excess from the sides. Recover with foil.
3. Place the cake silver cake board. Roll out the icing 1/2 inch thick (to cover the whole cake), place over the cake gently pushing to the bottom. Decorate with Christmas ribbon and figure’s.