This is lovely on its own or served with a another curry dish, will serve up to 3 people.
My wonderful partner Les makes this every Friday.
This recipe will make enough for four people.
2 medium mugs red lentils (check packet to see if they need soaking, some do, some don’t).
1/2-1 tsp dried chili flakes. (start off with little amount, can always add more for a hotter taste).
1 tin chopped tomatoes.
2 medium sized onions.
2 level tsp ground turmeric.
1 tsp ground cumin.
4 tsp ground coriander.
1 tsp garam masala.
generous handful of fresh coriander washed and chopped (stalks removed).
2 vegetable stock cubes.
1 tbsp ginger fresh /frozen.
3 tsp garlic fresh/frozen.
1 tsp salt.
2 tbsp olive oil.
3 medium cups water.
1/4-1/2 tsp chili powder. (start off with small amount, add more if needed).
1. Rinse the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear and drain.
2. Dice the onion and place into a large pan on medium heat (or wok) with olive oil.
3. Add cumin, coriander, garlic, chili flakes & salt and cook for 5 minutes – stir well.
4. Add ginger and turmeric and cook for a further 5 minutes – keep stirring to avoid sticking. (If sticking add a few drops of water)
5. Add chopped tomatoes, water and lentils, half of the coriander and vegetable cubes, bring to boil (stir well) and then simmer on moderate heat for 20 minutes. Add the rest of the coriander and garam masala. Add additional water according to the consistency you want. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Serve with rice and or chapattis