6-7 medium potatoes, washed and peeled chopped into quarters.
2oz 50g butter/margarine.
handful chopped chives.
handful fresh parsley.
1 tin tuna flakes in brine/oil.
2-3oz 50-75g plain flour/gluten free on a plate.
1. Place potatoes into boiling water with a pinch a salt, bring back to the boil, cover with lid, reduce the heat and cook for 1/2 hour to 40 minutes, until soft. To check this stab with a knife it should go straight through no pressure.
2. Chop the white end off of the spring onion and a little of the dark leaves, and peel away any brown or discoloured leaves, wash and chop. Chop the chives and parsley and place all onto a plate.
3. Drain the tune of the oil/brine in a sieve, place in a bowl and using a fork break it up.
4. Drain the potatoes in colander, pace back in the pan, add little of the milk and butter and mash the potatoes, add more milk if desired, leave to cool for about 10 minutes. Add the chives, spring onion, parsley and tuna and mix together with a fork.
5. Scoop out some of the mixture about the size of a tennis ball, using you hands roll into a ball place onto the floured plate, pat to flatten to about 1- 1 1/2 inch thick, an place on another plate. Do the same with the rest of the mixture.
6. Place a frying pan over medium heat add a little oil, when the oil is hot enough place the tuna cakes into the pan and cook for 7-8 minutes each side, keep turning every few minutes after this until they are cooked through.
Serve with a fresh salad.