500g 1lb 2oz Strong white flour.
25g 1oz margarine.
25g 1oz caster sugar.
12g 2 sachets easy blend dried yeast.
300ml 11fl oz water (150ml near boiling, 150ml cold).
200g 7oz jam.
100g 3 1/2 oz granulated sugar.
5g 1tsp ground cinnamon.
Mix these together in a bowl and place on plate.
1. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the margarine. Stir in sugar and dried yeast.
2. Mix the warm water, stirring continuously with a round bladed knife until well blended together.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until smooth.
4. Divide the dough into pieces of about 65g 2 1/2 oz, knead into a small round and roll out to about 10cm 4 inches in diameter.
5. Place rounded teaspoons of jam in the centre of the rounds of dough, lightly dampen the edges with a little water and draw the dough together carefully covering the jam. Seal well turn over and place on a tray and cover with lightly oiled cling film. Prove (let rise) in a warm place until doubled their size.
6. Meanwhile heat the oil in deep frying pan to 180C 375F. When the doughnuts have risen place smooth side down in the hot oil fry for 2 1/2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
7. Drain the doughnuts on kitchen paper and then roll in the sugar and cinnamon.