Prawn Curry.June 9, 2012
1 large onion, washed and diced.
2 tsp frozen garlic.
2 tsp frozen ginger.
1-1 1/2 tsp chilli flakes.
4 tsp ground coriander.
2 tsp cumin.
1/4 tsp salt.
tsp ground black pepper.
1 Large tsp turmeric.
500g 1lb 2oz prawns (fresh/frozen thawed), washed and cut into cubes.
1 420ml tin chopped tomatoes.
1 fish stock cube.
1 tsp garam masala.
2 cups long grain rice, washed in sieve until water runs clear. (1 cup per person).
Handful fresh coriander, leaved taken from stalks, washed and chopped.
4 oz 100g frozen peas.
4 mushrooms wiped with clean damp cloth, cut into 3 slices each.
1. Heat about 3 tbsp oil in a wok over high heat until it is smoking hot, add the onions, ground coriander, salt, chilli flakes, black pepper and turmeric; turn the heat down cook for 5-10 minutes stir continuously so the onions don’t stick to the bottom, (if they start to stick add a little water) until onions are golden brown.
2. Place the prawns in the wok and mix with the onions into, add sprinkling of salt.
3. Add the tomatoes stir in turn the heat back to high for 5-7 minutes, crumble in the stock cube stir in, turn the heat down keep stirring, add 1/2 cup of water, add the garam masala stir in, add peas and mushrooms (vegetable of your choice).
4. At this point you need to start cooking the rice. Place the washed rice in a medium- large pan add water to cover (place the back of your fingers on top of the rice the water should just cover them, add a pinch of salt, cover with lid (with no hole) place over high heat and bring to boil; have another ring of heat on low ready to transfer pan once it starts to boil vigorously; cook for 10 minutes over low heat.
5. Add fresh coriander stir in, add chilli powder a very small amount at a time by very gently tapping the tsp, (keep tasting it, you can add more chilli if needed.)
6. Place the rice onto plates spread, place the curry on top.
Serve with wraps warmed in microwave, or chapatis.